Help your elderly neighbor beat the Winter Blues:
- Help with the grocery shopping. Whether you have to go and get some of the groceries yourself or accompany them to the supermarket.
- Check their home for drafts. Draft prevention is an important factor in preventing colds and muscular pains, but it also helps to keep the electricity and gas bills down.
- Encourage them to go outdoors in natural… daylight when the weather is fine, especially at midday on bright days.
- Being cold makes people more depressed. It has been shown that staying warm can reduce the winter blues by half.
- A healthy diet is a great mood booster, giving more energy and keeping weight gain in check.
- Encourage them to take up extra activities.
- But most importantly, spend some time just talking and taking an interest. Everyone is affected by the weather.